01-10-2024, 11:31 PM   #20
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
I guess when you build where you don't have to fight nature and ecology, things are vastly different. Never heard of a "sand mound" here in Virginia. My education came from watching the contractor install the tank, the D-box, and the drain field live and in-person. At two houses. We use the natural terrain which requires no pumps so I don't really understand the comment about power-failures, either. Though we do have a whole-house generator which has never had to engage in the year we've had it. I've lived in two homes with well and septic. Never had a need to pump either over a combined period of probably 40-years. I know my hydrologist, and I watched the perk test when we bought our current lot over 35-years ago, and I watched them again when we applied for our building permit.

Our topography did not require an undersized "engineered" septic tank like those in the mountain resorts on tiny lots nearby have to have. Our soil required no "sand mounds". We were required to show two drain fields on our land which on 5-acres wasn't difficult. There is a stream and spring on our property which is part of the local reservoir's protection and watershed so we were subject to legal setbacks for all of our systems. We comply with all regulations without holding tanks, pumps, or "engineered" tanks. And we don't have to build artificial septic topography or augment our soil to perk properly. By choice, we do not use a garbage disposal. We do compost though. Or feed the deer and foxes, which is more accurate!

We love where we live. But thanks for your concern. I'm sure that's important where your population density and growth have compromised waste water management.
I'm curious though as is there really such a thing as not needing to pump out the septic tank, ever? I'm all for it if it's true and according to your exp, it seems like it at least for 30-40 years, but, still, that was not what was intended when your system was built? Just confused is all.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0