View Single Post
      06-02-2022, 12:33 PM   #36
chrish.22
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunablue1 View Post
Once again, you're wrong. As a BMW sales "pro", I would expect you to be more knowledgeable about the product you sell. Please enlighten me - which G01 model comes with rear air suspension? Actually, I'll save you the trouble - NO G01 X3 comes with factory rear air suspension. That X3 20D pictured has "adaptive" suspension just like the X3M - the dampers can be adjusted, but not the springs/ride height.

To summarize:
-BMW offers a factory trailer hitch on G01 X3 30i and M40i, which ONLY comes with traditional coil spring/adaptive dampers.
-BMW offers a factory trailer hitch on Euro X3M, which also ONLY comes with traditional coil spring/adaptive dampers that share the same part numbers as the North American version (and is rated at 2500kg, or 5500lb).

I don't need, or care, to ask BMW NA why it is not an option on our X3M. If you work at BMW why don't you ask them? The purpose of this thread was not to speculate about why it is not offered as an option, but rather to assist other members.

But - just for you - let's speculate:
-The power folding rear euro trailer hitch is likely not NHTSA compliant
-The take rate on the factory NA trailer hitch on G01 X3 and G05 X5 is already quite low
-The X3M is an even more "niche" product, and as the factory G01 trailer hitch would require extensive redesign of the rear plastic bumper to integrate it
-There is no business case to be made to spend the $ to R&D (and assembly line complexity) a unique rear X3M bumper cover to fit a trailer hitch, which I'd guess less than 5% of X3M orders would take. I'm sure BMW NA's internal marketing team is aware that towing a trailer is NOT a top purchasing criteria when it comes to M SUV models.
lagunablue1 I applaud your knowledge on this topic and what seems like BMW in general. Very impressive and thank you for starting and sharing this thread with us. These are the kind of threads I would be specifically looking for when attempting something like this myself.

Your setup is really cool and I love how it looks! Thank you!
Appreciate 2