View Single Post
      06-02-2022, 11:14 AM   #32
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Be careful with Payload, that's the total allowable cargo capacity. You can find the number on the driver door frame. Most vehicles will exceed payload limits well before tow limits, and most salesmen or techs won't bother to educate.

The tongue weight of your trailer/boat is considered cargo and a reduction to payload. I'm guessing a mid-size luxo, performance crossover like the X3M will have a payload of only 1,000lbs, which will vary depending on the vehicle equipment. Assuming your boat's tongue weight is 10% of gross, you'll consume 400lbs of payload. Add a few adults and cargo and you're over the limit. If that happens to exceed the Gross Combine Weight Rating (GVWR) and you find yourself in an accident, your insurance may not cover you in some states.

Only sharing this from experience. I attempted to tow a 3,500 lbs trailer with a XC90, which is more capable than X3M, and found myself exceeding safety thresholds well before the 5,000lb tow capacity. I'm sure the car feels great under tow, as did the Volvo, but please stay safe.
Appreciate 2