loukas135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Solution to the scary windows / sun roof opening without warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandic24 View Post
Craziest thing happened yesterday.
I had locked the car and gone inside. After a few minutes the kids says: The trunk lid is wide open!!

I went outside and it wasn't only the trunk lid that was open - the car had unlocked itself, all doors, and both front windows was open 5-6 cm!
Closed everything and locked the car once again.
Taking it to the dealer today!

To be cont'nd
Oh I know what it is ... had the same issue with my X1 but it was the sun roof which was open with all windows instead of the trunk. I don't have the automatic hatch opening so I'm pretty sure I know what is your issue.

I have seen this issue a few times ( two many in fact for my taste ). One day my son ran in the house yelling " Dad it's raining and the sun roof is wide open " Damn it !!!

Ok ok without further examples here is the issue: The keyfob my friend ... simple as that. One of your keyfob had the "open" button depressed for over 5 seconds around the car. It is called something like "comfort entry" if I remember ... Think of this option when it's sunny and hot and your about to get in your car. You depress the open button 5 sec and suddenly the doors un lock, the windows open, the sunroof open (if you have one ) and I guess the hatch too if you have the automatic opening option ...

So. I found this because one day my wife returned home with her car and had my second BMW key in her purse ... The open button was depressed because, hey it's a girl purse and there is a lot of space in there isn't it so no object would be sqeezed on another right ? So, when she got beside my X1 the signal was sent for more than 5 sec and all windows / sun roof opened just like that.

Had the same issue packing the car with the keyfob in my jeans pocket tight on my thigh. So after finding what was causing it, I called my dealer and asked if this feature could be disabled ...

Of course they said : No So I took the matter in my own hand as usual (I'm a network admin so my job is to resolve problems ). Ok, then I made many searches on google ( told you I was a network admin ) and I found an application you can install on your phone ( Carly for BMW ).

The apps (http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/) let you make some codings in the car computer and by chance the option to disable the opening with the open button keyfob was just there to be reset to my taste.

There is a second settings identical but with the metal key inserted in the driver lock door. If you turn left for 5 sec all windows are going to open and all ... So you can keep a version of the feature which is way more secure than the depressed button which can be activated without your knowing from different ways ...

By the way, the apps let you get error codes and reset check engine and service warning ... It is not expensive and I really hope you'll take a look at it. All you need is to buy the BMW OBDII dungle and the apps and you're set.

Hope it will help you sleep on your two ears ( french expression )

Friendly,

Loukas135
Appreciate 0