View Single Post
      12-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
ExclusiveAuto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolX3 View Post
From my experience if something is wrong with the engine it has the potential to fuck up the whole drivetrain and all...

I had installed an aftermarket charge pipe on my N55, didn't seat a clamp correctly and had a leak, the leak cause the trans to be very jerky, shifted very rough and shuttered when turning. Because these cars are so electronically linked if one value is off it can easily mess everything up.

Best thing to do is check the easier stuff first.

I would pull the coils and plugs and replace them. Plugs can't be too healthy if it's running as rich as you say.

Other simple stuff, clean sensors, check the PCV system, and a new air filter probably could not hurt.

Check vacuum lines to the turbo, specificity the waste gate actuator.

Make sure the ignition coils and wires are all good and tight.

Make sure there's no leaks in the charge pipe and ensure it's nice and snug on the throttle body (a little play is good, maybe about 1mm-2mm to allow for heat expansion) Check the connection to the intercooler from the hot and cold side (a little play is healthy)

If there are no visual signs of a leak buy a boost leak tester. Very useful tool to have for about $30. Don't waste your money on a smoke boost leak test because nothing will come out unless it's a hole so big Stevie Wonder could see it.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the help! I have already done all of those items with the exception of coil and plug replacement, which I will do next. All hoses and sensors seem ok. I have a redline smoke pro machine, so will smoke test it, but havent seen anything with preliminary inspections in regards to boost/air leaks.
Appreciate 0