United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatebacon1 View Post
Whats also influencing my decision is that I am moving to the Netherlands in a few months and will be bringing the vehicle with me from Canada (and back to Canada in 3 years). Everything I've heard about the Netherlands and driving is that they are VERY strict when it comes to speeding. I will be a bit too far away from the nearest Autobahn in Germany, and too busy with work, to get out there and "wind it up" on a regular basis.
You may be aware that gasoline prices in the Netherlands are about 50% more than in Canada and almost double prices in some parts of the US. There will be a greater cost in driving the less fuel efficient M40i. Insurance and maintenance may also be more expensive for the M40i than the 30i.

Traffic offenses may be more rigorously enforced in the Netherlands than in Canada. Not only are there fines for speeding, but a driver's license may be suspended or a car confiscated in extreme cases.

http://www.speedingeurope.com/netherlands/

Bringing a car into the Netherlands from outside the EU can be a very bureaucratic and cumbersome process. If you fail to meet the specified requirements, the importation may be subject to costly VAT, BPM or import taxes. You may also have to pay for an inspection to register the vehicle. For example, you may need to have owned the vehicle for at least 6 months prior to importation to avoid certain taxes. Check carefully that moving with a vehicle purchased a few months earlier will not result in unexpected expenses.

http://dutchreview.com/expat/traveli...herlands-2019/

I moved to Switzerland several years ago for a four year assignment. I thought about bringing a car from the US, but after some investigation decided it was more hassle than it was worth. Instead, I bought a used car in Switzerland at a deep discount relative to a new car. Upon my return, I sold the car purchased in Switzerland for about 60% of what I paid for it, which was much less than depreciation on a new car imported to Europe. I also purchased a new vehicle under the tourist and diplomat sales program a couple months before my return. I was able to enjoy driving the car in Europe and then ship it back to the US at the manufacturer's expense. This is another alternative you may want to explore.
Appreciate 0