View Single Post
      06-30-2022, 08:34 AM   #27
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by abedads@yahoo.com View Post
I had the same failure yesterday (Drivetrain malfunction/low oil) suddenly on a 2013 X3 and I live in Canada.

What are our options here - which class action is currently active?
You don't say how many miles the car has. I've read a number of these threads and the status of things in Canada has always seemed more murky than in the US. In the US you are now out of luck because the failure had to occur within 8 years of the in-service date. I'm guessing Canada does not have anything more lenient, if it had anything at all. My take on it is this - although everybody always says models into 2015 were affected, that is not really true. I did a pretty comprehensive search at one point because I was worried about my 2014, and quickly discovered that virtually every failure reported was a 2013. That is not chance. It is not possible for virtually all failures to occur in one year of a three year run if the issue is identical. It appears that although additional changes were made in 2015, a key change was made in late 2013. I think BMW knew this, which is why they were happy to settle the case at 8 years because all affected cars were about to pass the cutoff. They were in effect assuming no future liability. I think you are probably out of luck, and suing yourself as some have suggested will probably get you nowhere. If I were a judge I doubt I would award you anything on a 9 year old car. It can't go on forever. You are at more than twice the original warranty period. If it happened to me I'd probably drop in a used 2015 or later engine because with a blown engine the car is worth next to nothing. If your engine is not yet blown, do the repair. It's a crappy outcome, but life is too short.
Appreciate 0