United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 3.5 & E90 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
2011 X3 (F25) 3.5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM5 View Post
Hi jgX3, did you have a chance to tackle the transfer case fluid change this weekend? I need to tackle both diffs (shouldn't be an issue), but I'm hesitant on tackling the transfer case. I too have the Schwaben tool and hope it can do the reset successfully, but I haven't gotten a definitive answer in my searches. Thanks!
Yes, the job was completed on Saturday. Changing the Diff fluid front and rear was straightforward. As has been posted here previously, at 58K mikes the rear Diff fluid wasn’t too bad but the old front Diff fluid was BLACK, BLACK BLACK. “Lifetime Fluid” my arse! Glad I changed it.

Left the transfer case for last. In hindsight, I probably should have done it the following day because that case is a bear to get at and reaching the pump hose up the the fill hole is a tight fit. Mind you I did not remove the transmission support bracket and had I done so access would have been much easier. I used the Schwaben specially drain plug tool but had to use a grind wheel to shorten the Allen wrench to make it fit in the space. No way can you use a socket wrench without removing the transmission bracket. It simply won’t fit. That fluid was also dark and glad I changed it.

As for the Schwaben / Foxwell scanner reset. There is not a reset adaptation function on the tool. What is on the tool is a CALIBRATION function that I ran instead. Afterwards the car did throw a error code because it disengages the 4X4 during the calibration process. But then I simply cleared that error code and was good to go. I have driven for several days and checked the VTG module and the DCS module. No error codes - good to go!

Again, Dif fluid changes were easy relative to the transfer case. You may want to break up the tasks into two separate events. My .02 cents to save wear and tear on your body.

If you have any questions let me know and I’ll answer as best I can. Good luck!
Appreciate 0