View Single Post
      05-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Apologies in advance as I know you asked this of Alex, knepsterd, but I'll share why I couldn't follow your thought process (which, I might add, sounds perfectly reasonable if you have the financial means and the garage storage space for two vehicles instead of one).

Understandably on a Forum for high performance, relatively upper echelon brands, some will have the discretionary cash flow to own multiple vehicles, each with a specifically-designed purpose in their family, and have multi-car garages to house them. I enjoy seeing those shared threads and images.

But, for those with two-car garages, who wish to have one vehicle which is a composite of the two you shared, the X3MC fits the bill. Will the Raptor carry more? No doubt, but I've never needed that. Will the Raptor pull more? No doubt, but I've never needed that. Will the Raptor go up snowed in mountain roads better? No doubt, but I will never need that. Do I like the F90 - absolutely a great construct. Had a lot of fun driving it hard at full day M School. Do I wish I had one over my X3MC, even if cost outlay was the same? No. Heresy, I know... But it also can't carry/haul what I need to do on a weekly basis. Would it run better at a track? No doubt, but honestly if I had the discretionary cash flow, and if I lived near a track to which an Auto Club had full access (neither of which I have), I would simply join the Club and run the vehicles they have available. No worries of maintenance or downtime. Same reason we sold our offshore boat - had a great time in it over the years, but annual maintenance, insurance, fuel, storage costs produced Grouper and Snapper catches worth $500/lb. Now, we just talk with our local Captains and head out and let them handle everything - including cleaning the fish and providing the tackle.

Long-winded reply, but I've enjoyed reading Alex's progress with his build. In essence, he's trying for an even more capable X3M - what the Competition honestly probably should've come as, but at least what an X3MCS could be. I understand this is also sacrilege for many of the M1, M2, M3 (and possibly M5) Drivers to read (many of which now own F97/98 models), but if M Division built into this construct what it's design attributes allow, then one wouldn't need separate track cars, pickups, family sedans and multi-car garages to be a reasonably fun and serious threat at a track.
Max, in my case it is much simpler. I really like this F97 and I’m making a build, just like people build their M2s and M3s and M5s. It’s my hobby. Is it an expensive hobby that wastes a ton of money? Yes. Is it also a ton of fun? Yes.
Appreciate 8