12-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #99
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygee View Post
Just on the subject of winter tyres; we had our first snow on Friday up here in the North East. I live down in an estate and have a sloping drive, which was covered in snow on top of ice, I decided to pick up my previously ordered winter tyres, the car was fitted with the 19'' option tyres which were as good as new as the car only had 300 miles on the clock.
It managed to get out of the estate with slight wheel spin in various areas; I collected the tyres and returned home, on the drive even at crawling speed the vehicle was sliding away and to one side following the slope of the drive. We fitted the winter tyres and I could not believe the transformation in performance, the X3 travelled out the estate with no wheel spin at all and was was totaly in control going back down the slope. I think it is money well spent considering the overall cost of the car; the problem is not as much having traction going up hills as it was having control of the vehicle going down and been able to stop when needed.
The following day we were behind a vehicle that spun 180 degrees whilst going down a hill and trying to turn into a side road, I stopped with no problem at all on the ice.
Good justification for them but only if you get snow more than once or twice a year (10C MINIMUM, 12C maximum in Reading today, not a single flake of snow has fallen here so far this winter and I would guess at most 2 days for the whole winter where there might be enough snow on the road for winter tyres to help) .

My gripe is the claims of greatly increased safety at anything below 7C which is nonsense IMO and is you can see from what I posted above you can get much more benefit from having less worn tyres.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0