View Single Post
      08-23-2021, 02:33 PM   #19
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8MAN View Post
Car looks awesome mi amigo, thanks for taking pictures of the roof, finally a good picture of what the car looks like without the pano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
My wife’s 2022 LCI X3MC ZDM in BG/Blk was delivered over the weekend. Although she really liked her 2020 X3MC PB/Blk, it was purchased with a pano off a Dealer’s lot. As we never use that it’s useless weight on top, and over the nearly 2 years of ownership it was surprising to us how much it seemed to change the handling c/w my X3MC w/o pano (as they were otherwise identical builds). So this time we custom-ordered w/o a pano thanks to BMWNA’s new option for the US market – ‘ZDM’, which provides simple pano-delete capability. Previously one could only order a slick top by ordering the M Driver’s Pkg (which also deletes the speed limiter).

It is Brooklyn Grey Met ‘C4P’ with pretty much everything - Exec ‘ZPX’, Driving Assist Pro Pkg ‘ZDY’, Comp Pkg ‘ZCP’, M Comp Pkg ‘7MN’, Remote Eng Start ‘1CR’, Mobility Kit (so she doesn’t have the heavy spare) ‘2VC’, and Front Vent Seats ‘4FH’ with Blk Extended Merino Leather ‘LKSW’. I removed the Competition badge from the back, changed out the rear wiper to IND-Distribution's gloss black painted version (which really cleans up the look), and blacked out all of the ‘X3M’ chrome lettering on the front grill and sides.

Compared to my 2020 X3MC without pano, it reminds us of the difference we felt when we moved from our F25 X3 35i to the LCI F25 X3 35i – just a sense that everything has had time to mature and provide an overall improved experience. Pulls from starts are stronger - whether that is from the claimed increase in torque or just programming, they clearly have listened to Enthusiasts who expected more off the line. The transition from iD6 to iD7 (our first experience with it) was seamless and intuitive. Although we’re partial to the analog gauge appearance in the pre-LCI, honestly so little of one’s focus is down at the cluster that I really don’t even notice the change. And to be fair, the new software does offer so much more information capability that it is a worthwhile upgrade even if one loses the analog look.

Some comments have been made about the rear light appearance, and although I admit to preferring the pre-LCI’s version, I spent considerable time comparing the aerodynamic lines of the rear and front and there is no doubt that wind tunnel testing and CFD have refined the airflow. Would be an interesting interview if someone could get the M Aero Design team to discuss how the changes affect drag, lift and downforce.

Took an extended drive yesterday so got some good seat time and have to say it is an improved version. To what extent becomes very subjective, and since I have my 2020 exactly like I want it now with the roof rail deletion I don’t feel a need to jump up to the LCI at this time. But for my wife who definitely wanted to get rid of the pano, ‘ZDM’ allowed a perfect opportunity for her to upgrade.

Although I don’t want to appear greedy, now if BMWNA would allow roof rail delete option with full painted roof and side windshield trim like the F96, I’d be tempted to trade mine in. And if they offered CFRP aero roof along with that, sign me up for an allocation…
It does look great!!!
Appreciate 1
Max Well4686.00