View Single Post
      04-02-2020, 02:04 AM   #1
chknlytle
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M Sport

need some help with a mystery misfire

Hi fellas,

I need some help trying to figure out a misfire in cylinder 4. But first let me say all that's happened/been replaced in the last week.

Car: 2012 x3 35i xdrive build date 3/12

-Last week CEL came on for low fuel pressure and random misfire. The car was bucking and jerking, would die out a few times, and you'd instantly smell raw fuel at the exhaust after start up. We determined that the high pressure fuel pump to be the culprit and replaced it with a BMW one. A little over $1k

-After replacement, it would hesitate (but still drivable) then CEL came on for cylinder 2 misfire. Found that the injector was bad, so we replaced that.

-After replacement of the injector, car STILL missed and CEL came on for cylinder 2 misfire again. This time the spark plug was fouled, probably from driving a bit with the bad injector. So then we decided to change ALL 6 plugs.

-Still missed and decided to clean the intake valves with walnut blasting since I have access to one, and nothing.

-After replacement of all 6 plugs, car STILL missed but now just on cylinder 6. So then we decided to replace ALL of the injectors...

-And car STILL misses, throwing a code for cylinder 5 misfire

Recap: Car has brand new oem high pressure fuel pump, 6 new oem plugs, cleaned intake valves, and 6 new oem injectors. I haven't replaced the coils yet because all 6 have been replaced about 6k miles ago, and we've been swapping them out to rule out the above problems.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to look at next?
Appreciate 0