View Single Post
      07-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I do this in the left turn lanes at red lights. Doesn't always work. The problem here isn't the timing but most intersections are looking for three cars before turning on the turn signal. So the backup routine helps.
If it's at night or no people around, and I know the light takes forever, I'll just turn right onto the perpendicular street, make a u-turn, and then go whichever way I want. Right if I wanted to continue straight, straight if I wanted to turn left, and left if I wanted to U-turn.

I hope I confused you enough, but it makes sense to me. I typically do this on my way home from work actually as the U-turn I have to make is across a regional tram/train line (metro, subway, whatever) and the arrow only goes green at the beginning of that sides sequence so if the light for straight is green I dip right and u-turn to wait for the left turn (usually a few seconds) and then I'm good. If the lights are all red, I have to make it into the turn lane and far enough to trigger the sensor, otherwise I'm screwed.
Appreciate 0