12-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
beamer
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
I believe I read somewhere that BMW was intent on having technology from the F30 3-series in the new X3 rather than relying on E90 technology and having the car be dated (the current X3 is still running on an E46 platform).
I think that the new X1 now takes the SAV role of adopting current/recent past 3 series technology to extend the life of parts/platforms/technology. The X1 is based on the e91 from what I understand and the new X3 will be "current" know-how (or I guess that's "future" know-how from today... that was confusing. sorry.)

My guess 3 guesses on the delay:
1. They went back to the drawing board after going down a design path they no longer like
2. They were waiting for 1 and 3 series development to catch up to concurrently design shared parts/platform/technology
3. Something they were depending on for development took a lot longer than planned and is now ready (new 8 speed transmission, new electronics architecture... whatever)

One thing is for certain, nobody can accuse this test-mule of having small side mirrors.