View Single Post
      02-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #1
yakudi
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2011

Exhaust smell in cabin from AC while stopped

Trying to figure this one out:

2011 X3 35i - wife's daily driver with about 79k on the odometer, she complained that she could smell the exhaust in the cabin.

Test drive proved her right - no smell when cold but in about 5 minutes of warm-up the AC pulls in the exhaust smell. While the vehicle is in motion no smell comes through, only when stopped. No smell with circulation on. I could also smell it with the hood open. Checked the head cover and gasket - no leak. Also didn't smell like oil burning.

Took it to an indy shop nearby. They said they couldn't smell anything but when on lift found the oil pan leaking slightly and very small leak in the crankshaft gasket. They claimed that this must be it but I was very skeptical. I checked things out from below and the leaks weren't bad. Told them not to do anything...

Then they claimed that a clamp needed replacing - the one that joins the exhaust to the Cat. $300 charged and the smell is still there.

What really confuses me is that the air intake for the AC is separated from the engine area by gaskets - so where is it pulling the fumes from?

Also, could any other gaskets be gone? Like the one between the cat and the exhaust manifold? Any ideas?

We're in the Boston area and would really welcome suggestions for good shop recommendations.
Appreciate 1
Lkng670.00