View Single Post
      07-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Angry NY Drivers - Driver's Responsibility Assessment

That "Drivers Resonsibility Assessment Statement" is a bunch of horse crap. I've never heard of such extortion.

Wind it back 3 weeks. I was sitting in NYC traffic for over two hours. Stopped.. I mean 0mph for 2+hrs. Traffic starts moving about 30mph then stops again. Some yahoo is in the breakdown lane in a suburban, door swings open, walks out into the stopped traffic, flashes a badge, points at me to get over to the breakdown lane (when traffic starts moving again).

I pull over and incredulously get told that "I clocked you at 74 in a 55mph zone". I said traffic was stopped for the past two+ hours, and he responded "I clocked you at 74 in a 55 mph zone.".

So, in light of traveling back to NYC to fight it, I pay the freaking thing. First speeding ticket in 15 years.

Well in the mail today, I get a "Drivers Responsibility Assessment". That after reading it, surmounts to a FINE FOR PAYING THE INITIAL FINE!!! An additional $300 or they issue a bench warrant for you that your state can arrest you for! WTF! I freaking HATE NY. My only redeeming thing I can even think about NY is that A-Rod is taking them to the bank for doing diddly-squat.

Again... This is extortion, and seems incredibly blatantly illegal to fine somebody for paying a fine.
Appreciate 0