07-27-2016, 11:51 PM   #110
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Is it? Mercedes never got that memo. They also haven't had any brand dilution although at one point they built a minivan (R Class), have a few FWD based cars (CLA and GLA), and will sell both a passenger and cargo van.
Since we're talking about image, MB compensates for these FWD based cars with $200K+ Bling mobiles that more than compensate for the dilution on the lower end. They also have limited edition exotics such as SLS BS, G63 6X6 and the erstwhile SLR all of which cost anywhere between $300-$600k. The average transaction price of MB is considerably higher than BMW, and when you don't have the luxury of having high end models that compete with Bentley and McLaren like Mercedes and Audi do, going downmarket is only going to drag the brand further south. You can start comparing "image" to MB and Audi when BMW has its 8/9 series or X8 M in place with retail prices above 200k to compensate for the FWD econoboxes, until then, a little context would be nice when comparing.

FWIW the new X3 looks a LOT better than the current one that looks downright outdated compared to its competition. I wouldn't mind seeing an X3M considering that the competition are making similar vehicles, but I'd also like to see BMW compete with the top-end of MB and Audi. Where's our S63/S65 and Audi R8 competitor.. Since BMW is interested in filling all niches as a potential customer I'd be interested in seeing this happen.
Appreciate 0