04-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #98
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Scott, you're actually making my point. Just because there are a few bucks to be made in a specific niche sector, doesn't mean BMW has to fill it. Brand dilution is a real thing, and not just a word forum members throw around.
Is it? Mercedes never got that memo. They also haven't had any brand dilution although at one point they built a minivan (R Class), have a few FWD based cars (CLA and GLA), and will sell both a passenger and cargo van.

Quote:
Celebrities do not like to be seen too often. Because that makes them less special. It dilutes their image. They have "brand managers" to watch their image, how many times they are seen in print and how many interviews they can allow. They get this concept.
The Kardashians, unfortunately, haven't gotten this memo either.

Quote:
And BTW, don't you think companies like Ferrari and Porsche already know what BMW knows? I give them credit for showing far more discipline.

Sign of the times indeed.
Ferrari isn't a volume brand. BMW doesn't tell buyers that they can't buy their cars, Ferrari does.

Porsche, yeah shows discipline. You can see this through such offerings like the Panamera, Macan and Cayenne. So yeah props to them for stickin to their roots. Same rings true for Jag, Bentley, and Lambo. They'd never stray from their roots and build an SUV.....
Appreciate 2