View Single Post
      01-17-2022, 07:22 AM   #16
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Here is my example from last month, knew that BMW had started locking down leases and that companies like carmax could not buy directly but my buyout was pretty low and no way I was just giving it back. I priced with carmax and carvana, both were close to 50k and my buyout was 41k and dealer was selling similar models for 60+. Max profit would be to just buy it and either private sale or sell to carmax, carvana but you have to pay it off, wait for the title to show up, in my state I would have also had to pay 2500 in tax, so now I am out a bunch of time dealing with it and have to give the state 2500 for nothing, so went down the negotiating with the dealer path. Of course they know it is a pain in the ass and that you have to pay tax so no way they will give what carmax would but got them close. So ended up being within 500 bucks of the carmax offer after your deduct the 2500 from their offer that I would need to pay in tax, so was the easiest route.

I watched it and dealer listed for 62000 and probably got most of that. Also saved disposition fee and car did need brakes and tires (M sport brakes) but it saved me any lease fees they may have got me for also, but dealer maybe had to put 3k into the car to sell it. so they made an easy 12k I would guess on it.

But long story short, for anyone returning a lease when you get your new car, if you just give it back and especially if they charge you any wear and tear on your lease return, you are leaving a lot of money on the table. Trade it in instead and let dealer buy it out for market value as it will at least make you a little money and it is better for you and the dealer as even though the lease may go back to that dealer, they don't just get to keep it for your your lease return cost, BMWFS will dealer auction it to the highest bidder and they would pay a bunch more for the car buying it from the auction than if you trade it.
Appreciate 0