nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottatah View Post
Hey Folks,

I've had a pretty epic crack in my windshield since a month or so after I bought the vehicle. I'm slowly looking into getting it replaced and trying to understand how this all works if a person goes through insurance (Alberta, Canada).

BMW: $2153 for the windshield, top and bottom moulding + $360 install + shop supplies = call it $2500.

Windshield Surgeons (local shop) : can get it for $910 installed which accounts for the heads-up display, rain sensors, lane departure etc. The only oddity the gal suggested was that the forward collisions/lane departure camera would need to be re calibrated and that price would be on top. Call it $1200.

I've never had a windshield replaced in my life, let alone done so via insurance, so I have some questions for those who have been through this on their X3 or a previous vehicle.
  1. Is there any reason not to trust a local reputable glass/windshield shop to obtain all the correct or necessary parts (e.g. they didn't mention the top/bottom moldings)?
  2. BMW never mentioned the camera bit or needing to re calibrate it
  3. Folks at the local shop suggested that insurance gives the price of the windshield based on a national average that they provide to the local shop. If that price is less than their cost, they'll sometimes return some of that thus saving me some of my deductible. This sounds nice...otherwise I'd probably just live with the crack a while longer. Can anyone weigh in on how this works?

Thanks,
Scott
BMW always recalibrate cameras after play with windshield. If doing it elsewhere, make sure those guys know how to do that.