View Single Post
      10-09-2016, 07:13 AM   #14
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
This just happened to me for the first time. I searched this forum which lead me here.

I was driving 50 miles into a 100 mile weekend highway drive, my overheat alarm went off - never happened before. The temp gauge was at or just above the 250F mid point. it seems like it usually about the 3/8 mark up to just under 250 - never touching it in the past, but I don't look at it all that often.

today when this happened, the computer cut power to the engine, i pulled over, shut down. first i restarted to see if it was just a sensor, still overheat alarm, so i shut down let it cool off for 5 mins - no steam or leaking fluids, and after 5 mins or so I started backup, no alarm, gauge was down some. At first I was going to drive just far enough to get off the highway like the next exit with service, but everything seemed ok and i completed my drive there and back later on

on the rest of the drive to where I was going, temp gauge seemed a little closer to 250 than normal - at one point i thought it was going to hit 250, alert me and I was going to replay the cool down on the side of the road as described above. never happened, i made it no problem other than a little nervous.

on the way home later tonight, 96 miles, no problems. at or just above 3/8 mark the whole way - i must say i paid more attention to that gauge today than in the last 5 years combined.

After seeing this i'm confident if it happens again I can pull over and cool down without overheat.

I may see if it happens again before seeking service - not sure, will be going to a shop for tires in a week or so - not sure if dealer or indy - my service center has a deal on install/mount that may actually be cheaper - more on that on a tire thread.

looking at the repairs some of you have done, it would seem to make the most sense to just replace the thermostat if it starts happening again would prefer to not replace the pump unless thats really going to fix it. this problem really seems like a stuck thermostat - seems like a more common problem long ago.

also, looks like this thread is mostly 35i's ?

mine is 2011 35i w/ 56k - very few issues in 5 years.
Procedure to replace the thermostat and coolant pump attached if necessary...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf replacecoolantpump.pdf (1.49 MB, 2050 views)
Appreciate 0