View Single Post
      06-26-2021, 02:00 AM   #27
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBa View Post
After driving about 1,000mi in two days with a 3,500lbs trailer (loaded) hitched to a 30e, I'll tag on my impressions in this thread:

TL;DR Great towing vehicle, especially with WD bars, but be prepared to make a lot of stops for gas if it's not a diesel X3.

- BMWNA's numbers on towing are very conservative. Payload on my sticker is 903lbs. On the German site (https://www.bmw.de/de/neufahrzeuge/x...che-daten.html) it says payload for the 30e is 610kg, that's over 1,300lbs! In other words, take BMWNA's numbers as the real limit, no need to take off another 20% or so as an extra cushion and no need to stress out if you're slightly over.

- Using a WD hitch is just fine. Do not use a system that's rated too high (e.g. 8,000lbs or more) because those are not only heavy, eating into payload, but the bars are also too stiff for the BMW X3's frame. I use the E2's 4,500lbs rated model. Measured before and after on the cat scales, the WD bars do their job and transfer about 300lbs from the rear axle to the front (220lbs) and trailer (80lbs) axles. When driving with a WD hitch, always slow way down on railroad crossings, bumps and dips and if there is any sudden change of level (driveways, some local or park roads, ...) just take the bars off.

- The 30e, or any X3, has more than enough engine power to pull at any speed. The 30e specifically is great at slowing down with regenerative braking, it feels like Diesel engine brake. The default Curt Echo brake controller profile is perfect and doesn't trigger the trailer brakes when doing that. I crossed the Appalachian mountains via Lover's Leap in VA without ever going over 2,800rpm in standard sports mode. Where the 30e falls short is mpg and range. I towed at about 60-65mph the first day because of rain and crosswinds and got 15-16mpg, the second day I had perfect driving conditions and towed for a while at 70-75mph (that is, with Goodyear Endurance tires on the trailer, rated at 87mph) but got 13-14mpg at those speeds, albeit with some headwind. That's a lot of fuel stops with the 30e's smaller gas tank size so I slowed down and got behind trucks going 65 with cruise control. Anyway, with the 30e, when towing start looking for gas stations at 25% left in the tank as the needle goes down quickly!
Anyone from the UK and Europe will look at your 70-75 mph towing and think you’re nuts. The thought of hoping to keep control of any trailer at that speed is highly optimistic in most cases and down right reckless in every other situation. I wouldn’t place the kind of trust in other drivers that you obviously do and hope they never cause you to have to react to anything stupid they do, caravan rage is a not uncommon occurrence over here.
Appreciate 0