Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobear View Post
I'm curious why you'd want to disable it?

Not only does it reduce your fuel consumption it also is almost unnoticeable when it kicks back in as you pull away. I've not had one situation where I wasn't able to put my foot down and go from a standstill and be hindered by the stop/start system.
While I think a lot of the people who hate ASS are going to hate it regardless, I do think you saying it's perfectly seamless is a bit off.

I think BMW does a pretty good job of the response when you're coming off of the stop, but the way they handle the stop itself is the problem. You either have to be super delicate feathering the brake until it's the perfect time to come to a complete stop, or you find yourself jerked to a stop, or sometimes I find it going into effect even before I'm at a stop.

If I could have the "stop" process from my Audi and the "go" process from my BMW, we'd be approaching a very usable ASS system. But we don't, and so for a lot of people it's pretty annoying.
I have a hybrid for my daughter, and the way my hybrid handles the engine start stop is impeccable. Wish BMW would add a small electric motor to the X3 to make ASS as smooth as possible.
Appreciate 0