View Single Post
      08-07-2020, 05:14 PM   #327
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael19887 View Post
I want to provide my experience and caution the members of this forum that it isn't always smooth sailing with the MSS springs. I picked a very well regarded and experienced installer, with highly favorable reviews that was recommended within this forum. I asked for a 1/4" drop to try and maximize comfort due to the poor ride quality. When I picked up the car, the drop was closer to 1 and 1/4 inch. There was minimal improvement to ride comfort, but new banging and clinking sounds from the front struts that was especially bad when turning the car. Folks on the forum were so helpful in pointing out an installation error that I took back in to have corrected. Once corrected, the ride was height raised, yet the springs are still making noise on the test drive. I'm currently going back to the stock set-up to ensure the long term viability of the car.
As someone who just had the MSS springs installed myself, I can recommend a few things:

1. Make 100% certain that the MSS instructions were followed. I not only E-mailed MSS directly with pre-install questions, but also got a PDF of their latest "installer instructions" for the X3M from their support people. I also E-mailed Ben @ RGSport with several questions, and he was very responsive.

2. For near stock ride height, ensure that your "adjuster gap" (the inside edge to inside edge gap between the top and bottom of the adjuster) is set to about 35mm rear and 29mm front. That is the best setting to get you closest to stock ride height and stock rake. I think it ended up dropping the car about 1/4" to 1/2" maybe. Any higher on the adjuster and you are running short on "threads" in my opinion. Also, before you leave the installer shop, do a test drive to let things "settle", then measure from the center of the wheel to top of the wheel well to ensure the drop is what you are expecting.

3. Regarding "noises" - the only noise I ever hear is if I hit a HARD bump at moderate to high speeds, such as train tracks, speed bump, etc. I will hit the bump stop in the front (at least, it SOUNDS like it is coming from the front) in those cases. I am not sure if it did this with the stock springs, but I suspect it did.

Overall, the MSS springs are not revolutionary with regards to ride (I have tried both Comfort and Sport) -- they DO make it much more tolerable though. The way I like to think about it is, which the stock springs I was constantly distracted when I was driving by the suspension. With the MSS, I am no longer bothered to the point of paying attention to the ride - which allows me to enjoy the car much more.
Appreciate 4
r33_RGSport12971.00
Max Well4742.00
dazzapb1050.00