05-04-2022, 02:49 PM   #18
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingstaff View Post
May be a dumb inquiry, as I could just call around. However, thought I might get a quick answer hear from the knowledge base above.

If interested in adding Apple CarPlay, is it better to do what some of you are doing above with an after market MMI add on, or just go to dealership and have then “add” or “enable” Apple Car play onto my existing 2017 X3?

Why go one route over the other? Is one cheaper than the other, or does adding the aftermarket MMI set ups above add “other features” too that make it a better direction to go in?
BMW may or may not charge you to activate Carplay if your car is capable. I know they got heat about the activation fee and then the subscription fee. So I don't know if they charge labor, it's a goodwill service, or what the deal is.

People above are using MMI boxes because the headunit does not have the capability. A lot of them were manufactured before CarPlay was a thing or widely used. I don't believe there's really any benefit to an MMI box when comparing it to OEM functionality.

If BMW is going to charge you something exorbitant, the cheapest way to do it is with codemybimmer(dot)ca i think they charge ~$250 and they'll do a remote session and get it all activated and working. I've heard great things about them and they'd be able to tell you the specifics of what you'd need to do and what level of service it'd need.
Appreciate 1