View Single Post
      05-23-2020, 06:06 AM   #41
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Point of order. If you have the Adaptive M Suspension options, your suspension is always adaptive - varying and modulating the amount of dampening at each wheel / strut constantly.
I think some of the confusion, (not only in this thread), has been caused by BMW introducing the 'Adaptive mode'. Was bad enough in the older models, explaining the modes and what the suspension settings really meant.

There are also the debates on whether passive M-sport is 'stiffer' than adaptive M-sport, or vice versa. I say they are 'different', hard to define the stiffness of an adaptive damping map, compared to a fixed damping setting in a passive system.

I'm running an F11 wagon with the 'full fat' Adaptive Drive (VDC + ARS) suspension. I've had guys ride with me, who typically drive cars with passive sport suspensions. There is always some comment something like, "how can a car which is so comfortable, handle like this?" Firming up when necessary, is not what you instinctively expect in a softer 'feeling' chassis.

IMO, Adaptive mode makes so much sense in any vehicle with adaptive suspension. Widens the working envelope on demand, but with a feeling not what many will expect, or are used to.
Appreciate 1
sinbad4782.50