Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Coming from an F34 3 series, I can say that the materials are superior in the G01. However, the materials in my E92 M3 were far better than in the G01.

In the past BMW concentrated on providing a great driving experience, at the expense of luxury touches (E30 and E36) and was conservative in their adoption of tech. With the E9x they improved finishes to the point where they were very close to Mercedes.

With the F3x they seemed to be going for a low cost/price point to gain market share. Some of the interior materials suffered, but the tech that was available (not necessarily as standard kit) was leading edge. I found much of the feel of my F34 to be cheap.

The G01 is a lot better. That said, it is a "sports family vehicle". It is not a luxury sedan. It is meant to hold up to scuba gear in the back, toddlers throwing toys about, plants from the garden centre and bags of soil in the boot.

I suspect that the X3M will offer a full leather package, alcantara roof liner, a sunroof delete (CF instead), and a lower ride height.

I have driven the new X1. It is a lot noisier, less luxurious, the surfaces are not as "premium" as the X3, and it lacks power. On the positive side it was easier to fit in the narrow, short parking spot that I have in my garage. If I were going to compromise on the smaller transverse engine platform I would have bought a Mini Countryman. At least I could have spec'd a proper manual transmission in the JCW version.
Appreciate 3
Max Well4734.50