04-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #16
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Intresting yes, because the E84 is all hard plastic inside, and very cheap overall.
Yes, i have owned the E84, it's a little crossover, but i now owns the F25, and the quality is miles above the E84, but so again is the new X3 from my F25, leaving my F25 in the dust.
Well, plastic is in both. Where the X1 has plastic, so does the X3. Central console is the same. The dash material on the E84 makes it look more refined due to a different granulation of the material, which makes it feel softer.
The E84 door panels arm rest pads are cushiony in a different way than the new X3 which is cushiony in a rubber way (cushion versus soft rubber I guess).
The plastic handles are similar, yet, the X1 has a such a fit finish without any gap, that you won’t feel that is cheap and will not cut your palms when you are using is.
My X1 has the Piano finish all over, while the new X3 has some finish but a lot more silver plastic that looks really a little bit off. On the E84 X1, that silver is present only on the Navi knob base and the shifter’s frame and my Navi knob silver base peeled off after first two years, yet was replaced in warranty by BMW.
The overall material that covers the A pillars, roof panel, panoramic roof cover, ALL is a high quality and thicker dense material in the E84. The new X3 not only that it uses three different materials ( the A pillar uses a pantyhose like material, the panoramic sunroof uses a saggy thin cover which is not even opaque to perfectly keep the light outside, and the rest is also a different material), but is A LOT cheaper than the old X1. The lack of uniformity in color nuances and materials screams cheap to me. From this point of the E84 X1 is way above
The interior carpet on the E84 X1 has a higher viasual quality to me than the new X3, and in the X1 looks like a perfect shaved pile carpet while the X3 looks like a commercial one, but both are nice.
The sunvisors on the E84 are this vinyl that is still softy and cushiony while the new X3 ones are hard plastic. The interior courtesy mirror eyelids are also a better feel and finish than the new X3.

Looking deeper I found many things to be cheaper on the new and more expensive machine.
I am quite keen on these things and have dealth with many materials in time since I am very anal when it somes to cleaning and maintenance and I do my own detailing.

My X1 was a special order with beige interior so not sure if that makes a difference but the materials that are inside and the whole interior are very good for its class and they don’t feel cheap to me. I really find the interior very nice and well put with a proper fit and finish. Given its class and the price I paid for it when I bought it brand new, I believe that I got a good quality vehicle.

What I am trying to emphasize is that the X3 should be way above in many aspects, yet, my first impressions are not on the positive side, especially for the price.

Will a special order interior with a different color be different in materials? Don’t know, but I really hope so.
Appreciate 0