View Single Post
      12-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I observed in an area with wide lanes that it tends to just wander in the lane and sort of bounce off the lines, a bit like a bowling ball with gutter guards. The effect is normally fairly subtle but I can see a very slightly tilted road, tramlining, or even alignment issues making it feel like it is hugging one side. There probably is also some calibration in regards to how sharply it corrects, etc, just thinking about other factors as well.
That has been my experience as well. I let it drive for a couple minutes on a fairly empty toll road and it did fairly well.

But I tried it today on a local county road and didn't like how it tracked at all. Despite giving me the green steering wheel, etc., it had a problem keeping in the lane when the curve was fairly tight and I had to intervene before I ran off the road. There is also one right hand curve that is fairly sharp that has an intersection coming in from the left, kind of a Y junction. A left turn lane begins just before the Y. The lane keeping assist did not track the main lane around the corner to the right but seemed to want to follow the middle stripe into the left turn lane, which would have resulted in a head on collision had I not intervened.

So I'd definitely be cautious about over-relying on the system. Good for longer trips if I'm feeling fatigued or when I want to fiddle with the radio or something, but not something I'll routinely use.
Appreciate 0