02-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #74
ina93
Isa Ali
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker View Post
Sweet! Looks like the rotor dimensions are 348x30 versus the 328x28 stock brakes. Cost for the whole setup?

I may end up buying a set of 3 series M Performance 370mm brakes for the front. I'm hoping to be lucky and that everything will just bolt up. If not, I'll fab up custom adapters to fit them.

Unfortunately, with our electro-mechanical parking brake setup integrated into the rear calipers, the rear M Performance two piston calipers won't work.
Yes it's a decent bit larger than our stock brakes; the rotors are also directional which may help in cooling I guess? I've attached a pic of my old rotor versus the new one.

Total cost of parts (Roots, Calipers, Carriers, Protection Plates & Pads) were approximately 1900 USD. I don't think the cost was too steep and my rotors and pads were in need of replacing anyway. I also needed a brake fluid change so I took the opportunity to try Brembo's brake fluid.

The braking does seem much improved so far with better initial bite. The additional weight on the front axle is noticeable though but I guess I'd rather trade a bit of handling for the improved braking! My country is filled with selfish and inconsiderate drivers who may suddenly pull onto your lane without any indication. It has lead to some butt-clenching moments, especially when I'm doing over 100mph so at least this upgrade can give me more confidence in stopping.. before I end up inside someone else's car..

I've always felt that BMW slightly crippled our X3 35i's by offering them with these small brakes when the much lighter 335i came with bigger ones. It does seem that they're correcting this in the next-gen one so I'm hoping this upgrade satisfies me until the-next gen X3M comes along.

Wow, those M Performance brakes would definitely be an awesome upgrade! Maybe I should've waited for you to go this route and follow along if all went well! . Good luck with it and hope you keep us posted with your progress.
Attached Images

Last edited by ina93; 02-22-2017 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Grammar Correction
Appreciate 0