02-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #324
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAU GRAU View Post
I think the price thing is interesting. These two are in a much more competitive space than the M3/4. BMW cannot come out with a car that has a base price near Macan Turbo level, I just don't see that working. Macan GTS level is probably about right, for the X3M. Given that, I agree with the earlier comments that these are going to seriously eat into M3/4 sales.
I don't think that comparison to the Macan is as simple as you make it sound. A similarly optioned GTS is going to run you low $80s and is considerably underpowered and less practical. A similarly optioned Turbo gets you scary close to $100k. Given how loaded these will come for the prices quoted, I think they are very well priced (especially considering the Merc and Jag competitors). Porsche looks great on paper when you are looking at base, but people quickly forget that the base is missing simple things that modern luxury cars should have, like LEDs, keyless entry, AC, and radio (kidding with last two, but no really look at the 911T). Also, and last but it least, lease deals on Porsche's (and even the Mercs) at those higher trim levels are atrocious, whereas BMW ones, even on an M (sans the 19 M5), lease very well. If you are a purchase guy, then that point is irrelevant.

I see this working, just as Merc is by selling their GLC AMGs like crazy even with the tech from 1996.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
kozzi927.00