View Single Post
      01-10-2022, 11:41 AM   #1
BrownBoy17
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive28i

Looking for a good & affordable mechanic

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to the BMW world and I bought a 2012 X3 xDrive28i @104K miles. I'm recently facing some issue with my car, In a nutshell, I have an engine oil leak where I believe the oil is touching the exhaust which is causing a burning smell when I start the car. I also see a little bit of white smoke coming out from the left side of the engine when I pop the hood up and it goes away after a couple of mins. I took it to the dealership for a diagnostic and the dealership gave me a lot more stuff to repair than what I originally went for. I bought the car for 11K and now the quote for the "issues" from the dealership is coming out to 9K. Insane, I know.

The repairs (?) are:
OIL FILTER HOUSING LEAK-$990
VALVE COVER-$2021
OIL PAN GASKET-$2757
FRONT BRAKES W/ROT-$960
REAR BRAKES W/ROT-$823
BATTERY-$568
SPARK PLUGS- (2 of 2) $460
AIR FILTER-$152

I don't even know if this things needs to be done because I don't see any of these changes required on my infotainment screen when I click on the "vehicle status". Furthermore, I got all of the above mentioned parts from FCP Euro and now I'm desperately looking for an affordable yet effective person/independent mechanic in NYC to help me fix my car. I wish I could do DIY but I don't know anything about cars, and this is my first car. Please advise, it'd help me a lot. Thank you.
Appreciate 0