View Single Post
      05-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #133
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Depends on the track prep also, if drivers were noticing that they were not getting traction in Nov'19 vs. getting better numbers in Feb (lower DA hinders traction but helps with ET's, especially with a 1100 DA swing) it could account to better track prep combined with cooler temps. More to this then just moving the tire pressure down unfortunately (DA, track prep, tires more worn in, previous person running down the lane, etc. etc.).

Just noticed:
3 PSI in the rear and 1 PSI in the front won't make that much of a difference based on my drag racing experience of 100+ runs down the track.
No question a lot of variables go into the final result. But - my tires did spin in Nov with psi 33/38. The tires did not spin in Feb with psi 32/35. At a high-end track like GNV, I suspect their prep is consistent so will discount that (and as gross observation I've sat there in the ready lanes watching them both times before rounds began, and the time spent and machinery used was the same to my untrained eye). Previous person running down the lane can alter a single run time, but I purposely switch up lanes each day, and I also averaged the data, and if you look at the spread it is consistent so that doesn't seem to be key. The other Drivers I spoke with having traction issues on both days were either serious hobbyists but from out of town and unfamiliar with the track, or regular street guys like me without a lot of experience there, so probably comes down to knowing the settings at your home track.

There doesn't seem to be much data discussing 'tire psi vs performance' at drag strips that I could find online. Some links are available but aren't vetted analyses and seem to be written mainly for upper echelon Drivers, which discuss making only 1/2 psi adjustments at a time for drag slicks and radials. Kingmonkey mentioned he runs 32/32 if I recall correctly in his modified GLC63? I think one of our UK colleagues also runs lower than OEM psi? Would be interested in reading what others have found with their F97/98 runs.
Appreciate 0