03-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #19
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgX3 View Post
Did you run a reset/readapt software procedure on your transfer case? Some do and some don’t. If you did, what software or tool did you use to perform the reset? I own the Foxwell scanner tool, and it “appears” to have a VTG Transfer case reset function, but other posts I have seen there is actually a specific adaptation procedure. Trying to verify 1) if absolutely needed and 2) the correct procedure for doing so. Currently at 55K so it’s about time for the fluid flush (have previously done ATF and Diff on my E90...but the transfer case is a new task for me....)
I have not yet changed the transfer case fluid. I have bought the fluid to do it though.

Yes you ABSOLUTELY need to do the transfer case reset. It resets the clutches for the change in viscosity. In fact could possibly trigger a light if you don't! I have read a lot on this and between what I've read and the fact my friend and service advisor has confirmed that they do it at the dealer every time they change I'm now sure it is necessary. I have been researching the Foxwell NT510 tool or any alternatives that could do it for me as I will not change it until I know I can reset the adaptations. I have yet to determine if the reset in the PTF Bootmod3 that I will be running soon can reset it, or if it can, will it JUST reset the VTG.

If you use the Foxwell tool to reset it please tell us! It would be awesome to have a video of using the Foxwell to do it also!

Last edited by ThomasR; 03-17-2018 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0