09-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #20
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Howdy! Late to this thread but I hope one of y'all might still be around to help. My 2011 X3 started showing those alerts Marty in NY mentioned: Chassis stabilization drive moderately, parking brake disabled, passenger stabilization system, ABS... no other symptoms when they first came on so stupidly I kept driving it around for a few weeks. Then the wheels just froze up. I could idle and go in reverse, but the second my foot touched the accelerator the wheels would grab and jerk like mad. Really a violent reaction. A private Euro auto mechanic said the transfer case had to be replaced - a $6500 job for parts and labor. Didn't specify just what in the TC went bad. I haven't had anything done since. I've seen A LOT of videos and read some forums that refer to the plastic actuator gear going bad and it being an easy DIY fix but none of the videos cite such violent symptoms in the wheels. Plus all those videos say their explanations are valid only for X3's up to 2010. (Does my 2011 still use actuator gears like that? Should I try to disassemble it?? But I digress...) Marty in NY now has me thinking the main problem could be the wheel speed sensors and not the transfer case at all!! I don't want to fork out 6.5 grand for nothing. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
Hi Captain_Hook, sorry to hear you're having those symptoms, so what OBD codes is your CPU throwing at you?
Appreciate 0