10-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
vtsng
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Pre LCI E90 325i SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
I take it you donīt have TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System via pressure sensors, but the ABS based indicative system, which counts wheelspeed.

System does not count real wheelspeed, but difference between rotational speed on wheels. i.e. you can change wheelsize - if on all four.

After change of wheels, you need to calibrate - with correct tirepressure.

My reading is that one of the ABS sensors, does not send signal to system OR system is inactive.

IF I am right, you are in no real trouble.

You hit it right on the nail, my car is Canadian, it does not have TPMS. Rather it has what BMW calls a "Flat Tire Monitor (FTM)" which in other words is the ABS based system.

I've tried calibrating with the "reset" feature on the FTM but it still doesn't seem to have any affect. The moment I move forward after resetting, the "Flat Tire Monitor Inactive" and "DSC and Chassis Malfunctions" all pop up again.

I have the same thought as you in that the ABS sensor is just panicking because of the sudden change in wheel size from 18" 245/50/18 to 17" 225/45/17, which in turn triggers the malfunctions. But theoretically speaking, everything seems to be ok as you say and shouldn't cause any damage. I'm just not quite sure why I can't reset and calibrate to the new wheels...
Appreciate 0