View Single Post
      10-06-2017, 04:11 AM   #1
vtsng
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Pre LCI E90 325i SGM

Winter Tires Installed --> Dash Error Galore! Urgent help needed!

Was planning for a weekend getaway with my wife for her birthday but the highways have a winter tire enforcement law in effect. Being the law abiding citizen that I am, I put in a set of winter wheels and after the first 10km, errors started popping up in the following order:

1) Flat Tire Warning
2) Flat Tire Monitor Inactive - System unable to monitor tire pressure. Consult service center.
3) DSC and xDrive malfunction - Chassis stabilization and traction reduced. Drive moderately. Consult nearest service centre.

My original wheels are BMW style 308 (8x18 square on 245/50/18 all around)
My recently installed winter wheels are BMW style 161 (8x17 square on same brand and style 225/45/17 all around with 10/32 tread on all tires)

I am under the impression that Canadian vehicles do not use TPMS (my OEM wheels have the rubber valve stems) and the vehicle measures the wheel's rotational speed to detect a difference in tire pressure. Am I right in assuming that so long as all 4 wheels are the same size and same tread pattern/ wear, there shouldn't be any damage to the AWD system?

When I start the car, the Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) is active and all tires appear green on idrive. But almost instantly when I start moving forward, the FTM becomes inactive, immediately followed by the DSC and xDrive malfunction. I've tried resetting the Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) before moving the car, but once again as soon as I move forward after the reset the errors come up again.

Shouldn't the ABS system be able to calibrate the FTM so that I can run these new wheels? Isn't that what the reset function is for? Or is there a more serious problem here?

I driven another 100km @ speeds of up to 120km/h with the errors on the dash but without any ill effect. But these messages are still keeping me up at night. Last thing I want is to be stranded away from home on my wife's birthday. Would really appreciate any opinions here!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0