02-24-2022, 06:51 PM   #5
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Interested too as I can't get T-Mobile Home Internet. I can't even get DSL. Only options are Mediacrap (Mediacom), cellular Internet via hotspot, or satellite (Hughes). None of the current options are good. Over the past two days, I got notification from my smart thermostat (Honeywell) of network outages. These outages lasted at times a couple of hours and were multiple throughout the day. In addition, the jerks there are packet shaping some of my traffic usage. I'd love to get off of Mediacrap but have no real alternatives.
Our Mediacrap connection was going south almost every night for a while. It always started around 7:30-8PM and got worse as the evening went on. They sent a tech out during the day, when there is never a problem, to check the signal at the house. Of course it was fine. But the tech told me Verizon was no longer supporting DOCSIS 3.0 modems, so maybe that was my issue. I had a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, so I bought a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem. It came up fine and seemed to be okay until a couple nights later when the problem started again. I checked with Verizon again and they said since I had a strong signal reading and have a new modem, it must be the coax cable between the outside and my modem. I asked them to explain how a coax cable only goes bad at a certain hour most nights and they had no answer.

Over the next week I saw two Mediacrap vehicles at houses near mine and figured I wasn't the only one having issues. They must have done something to fix it because we've had no issues for a week or two now.

The only other provider in this area is Consolidated Communications and their DSL, which is even slower than Mediacrap's service.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50