06-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #173
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB-89 View Post
The problem I have is that BMW is diluting the M brand, it's not exclusive anymore. I don't have an issue with the M hierarchy (it's been there for years), but every model should be distinguishable from the other. M Performance models should have their own unique design touches, like the honeycomb grille and cerium grey accents, these are nowhere to be seen on the facelifted X3/X4. Where's the consistency throughout the M Performance range?
Yes, I've also noticed the badging on that X4 M40i is chrome instead of Cerium Gray: it looks like they're ditching the Cerium Gray elements across the M Performance range (grille, mirror caps, wheels, badging...) in favor of a more traditional mix of black and chrome, i.e. just like on the M Sport range immediately below and the M High Performance range a.k.a. base M range immediately above (clearing out any confusion between the M Performance Cerium Gray and the CS gold-bronze as a side-effect); a consistency gain which is an esthetic loss as I personally also find Cerium Gray fantastic. By that same token, the current M Performance dotted line grille pattern on non-X vehicles is likely also going down the drain in favor of the M double-slat pattern across the entire M Performance range; for consistency and perhaps because of too many dislikes?

So it looks like M Performance and base M models are now going to be more closely related in terms of features, naming, trim and chrome badging, while Competition models are likely going to be portrayed as being more related to CS and CSL (even though the CS gold-bronze theme conflicts with the Competition black trim... which suggests that CS may perhaps itself be connected upwards to CSL by a common gold-bronze theme?). All in all, a cohesive link chain style M lineup where every step of the ladder is tightly connected to the level above and the level below, but this smooth gradient style lineup unfortunately implies getting rid of the odd Cerium Gray theme on the M Performance level as it seems.

As for dilution of exclusivity, it isn't sustainable anymore to only reserve the M brand to actual racecars and hardcore production models which will only be seen in the streets every so often; BMW is a production car manufacturer first of all and it makes sense for them to apply their sporty label M on all their sporty flavored models (well, save the 128ti oddball I guess); hence why the growth of the M Sport range and the M Performance range. So it appears like exclusivity on higher-end M models will now come from extra race-derived features more than from the branding itself.

Last edited by advantage20; 06-11-2021 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 2