06-11-2021, 07:50 AM   #161
EMB-89
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
It is in the normal order of things that features from the higher-end M vehicles eventually make their way down to the lesser ones, with M Motorsport actual racecars standing at the top end of the spectrum and M Sport production trim at the lower end. As previously released features are trickling down the ladder, all-new features keep being released higher up to feed the continuous improvement cycle. Hence why M mirrors, M grille, M hood with power dome, M carbon roof, M spoiler, M safety belts... either already have or eventually will make their way to lower-tier models. This cascading down of iconic M features doesn't seem problematic per se as long as the hardcore M models higher up the ladder keep in turn gaining new race-derived features that keep them unmistakably sportier and more desirable than the lower-end versions (better aero, more carbon standard, lighter wheels with centerlock nuts, sportier seats, more alcantara, more M stitching, more red details, larger paddle shifters...?).

Having said that, I do agree that this model refresh here is perhaps demoting too many M features at a time (M double-slat grille, M grille badge, M color steering wheel...). But BMW is obviously keen on making its M lineup look like a continuum / color gradient / steady stairway, rather than a binary step function with 'real M models' on one side and 'fake M models' on the other: all M-branded models are the same breed, they just get more purebred the higher you go up the ladder (can't find that chart right now, but it's interesting they are now labeling the base M models 'M High Performance' as if to round off the angles and better relate to the 'M Performance' models, just like Competition already relates to CS and CSL):

M Motorsport
M CSL
M CS
M Competition
M High Performance
M Performance
M Sport

XXXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXX
XXXX
XXX
XX
X
The problem I have is that BMW is diluting the M brand, it's not exclusive anymore. I don't have an issue with the M hierarchy (it's been there for years), but every model should be distinguishable from the other. M Performance models should have their own unique design touches, like the honeycomb grille and cerium grey accents, these are nowhere to be seen on the facelifted X3/X4. Where's the consistency throughout the M Performance range?
Appreciate 2