View Single Post
      06-08-2021, 11:02 PM   #54
neilr_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3esq View Post
What is the point/benefit of the hybridization of the M40i if the torque and horsepower remain the same?
Gas mileage?
This seems to add unnecessary complexity and cost to an already relatively complex vehicle.
I personally stay away from purchasing hybrid vehicles although I would consider leasing one I like.
From the press release:

Quote:
The energy obtained by means of recuperation and stored in the 48-volt battery is used to supply the 12-volt electrical system and the electrically operated vehicle functions connected to it as well as generating additional drive power. For this purpose, the drive power flows back to the 48-volt starter generator, which then takes on the role of an electric drive and supports the combustion engine. This enables the engine to run as often as possible in an efficiency-optimized load range to reduce consumption peaks. The 48-volt starter generator also creates an electric boost during acceleration.

This instantly available additional output of 11 hp supports dynamic power delivery. The result is optimized off-the-line starts as well as an acceleration build-up during intermediate sprints. The powerful starter generator also improves the start/stop system with lower levels of vibration. This optimizes comfort when using the auto start/stop function as well as the coasting function.
So, initial acceleration from a stop and smoothing of the auto start/stop function.
Appreciate 0