pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingstaff View Post
I disagree with Pungo immensely that his steps are adequate, and really that just allows cover for BMW skimping and shortchanging customers on a VERY basic modern feature. I like my BMW, but this is a glaring engineering omission. I’m right there with Pole on this one.
Just so you know, in many European countries leaving a vehicle unattended with the engine running is illegal

You can "disagree with me immensely",but "it is what it is", you can either spend ~$1000 to add auto start, or live without.

Idling a cold engine is not the smartest idea, especially in the dead of winter, in the summer it's not as bad since warm up is much faster. It's better to start it and drive off.

When it's cold outside, gasoline is less likely to evaporate. Your car compensates for this initially by adding more gasoline to the air-vapor mixture — running "rich" — and that's where the problem begins.

Because you're actually putting extra fuel into the combustion chamber to make it burn and some of it can get onto the cylinder walls. Gasoline is an outstanding solvent and it can actually wash oil off the walls if you run it in those cold idle conditions for an extended period of time.
Over time, that washing action can "have a detrimental effect on the lubrication and life of things like piston rings and cylinder liners," which are critical to running the cylinders and pistons that breathe life into your engine.
Appreciate 0