View Single Post
      02-11-2022, 04:46 PM   #1
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

On-ramp Pulls - Manual vs Auto

Something I've noticed, maybe other people have too.

When doing an on-ramp pull, the gear/RPMs/acceleration are not always consistent. I start the pull anywhere from 10 to 40 mph depending on the on-ramp. Always in Sports+ and D3. I then push to WOT so the kickdown button is depressed.

Sometimes the car will downshift and the RPMs will jump from 2500-ish up to 4000 or 4500. The sweet spot. These are the best pulls.

But other times, the car will not downshift. For example today on a cloverleaf onramp, my speed was about 30 mph and the RPMs were around 2800 (Sports+ D3 auto). I pushed to WOT, and .... the RPMs climbed until red line but the car didn't downshift. So the pull did not have as much acceleration. Just one long climb to red line. Fun, yes, but I was expecting a downshift, and jump to about 4000 RPMs, with more acceleration.

Obviously I can switch to manual for the onramp pulls, but it's annoying that I can't get consistent behavior out of the X3M.

EDIT: Is this a gearing issue? If I'm in 2nd gear 2800 RPMs, the car won't shift into 1st? Do I have to slow down and start the pull in 1st gear?
Appreciate 0