Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
Rotating won't help as it's not a left/right alignment issue but the wrong angle straight on. It's not malformed because when reinstalling the stock intercooler that side always pops on by itself before I can even look at it! Also when I push it off the stock intercooler it slides straight up.

Perhaps it's because yours is an aftermarket pipe? I have the same pipe in a box I think you have (FTP right?) and it has no bellows so I think there would be LESS range of motion if it's not dead on stock. Plus it looks to be a pain to install. You tell me. I'm getting a little frustrated at this point... ugh.
The on-axis angle changes significantly as you rotate the boost pipe on the compressor outlet. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Pulling the pipe isn't too difficult. Getting the c-clip off and on is the hardest part. Use needle nose or hemostats or try threading a zip tie under/through the clip and using it to pull it loose. Reinserting it is trial and error and usually takes a few minutes to solve. Pull yours and compare it to the FTP piece. There's some wiggle room for finagling the fit with the FTP setup using some play/angle in the coupler before cinching it. BTW, toss the cheap worm clamps and get some quality t-bolt clamps. Cinch them TIGHT when you do. They'll loosen over time. You'll want to recheck them some time later. The stock worm clamps with the FTP pipes tend to break after install.

Try to fit the passenger side first. Perhaps something's misaligned somewhat elsewhere and this would reveal it? Remove the charge pipe from the throttle body as well, so you can fit the intercooler unimpeded on the passenger side first.

BTW, I usually lightly grease pack all of my boost couple seals and o-rings with high temp synthetic grease for better sealing and to eliminate potential boost leaks. I also lightly lube the tapered coupler ends on the intercooler to aid fitment some and reduce the chance of tearing any seals or o-rings. You might want to do that, as well, while you have the opportunity to.