04-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #1
djhartm69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 MC

My 2021 X3 MC tracked @ VIR

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Finally got her on track while instructing for Tarheel BMW last weekend on the full course.

I could only run in D group because of the CCA rules, but that was OK; I wasn't out to set a PB.

The car exceeded my expectations and proved a complete hoot to drive.

Saturday was a rain day & I left all the nannies on. I was able to play with threshold braking a bit and the car reacted wonderfully, even in deeper puddles coming out of Hog Pen. I think I hydroplaned only once.

I had M1 configured for Sport+ for engine, suspension and steering, and D3 for transmission.

D3 worked 'mostly' well. It got caught several times in the wrong gear in NASCAR Bend, South Bend, & Oak Tree. Paddle shifting was excellent.

Sunday was dry, so I was able to wick it up a bit.

I did change the brake fluid to SRF & was running the Race Chip GTS in mode 7 with no issues. Car was stock otherwise. The car handled fabulously, and I wasn't at its limits but had an immense smile on my face.

Body roll was minimal & transitions were quick & precise. I could enter the upper esses easily in the mid 120's, and hit 145 on the back straight, and upper 130's on the front straight. I could have hit 150+, but it was quite windy & there was some chassis movement\buffeting. Brakes were very good, though steel lines would be a good upgrade. I did not threshold brake in the dry as I wanted to see how the OEM pads would hold up. After 8 sessions and 6k miles there are still a lot of material in the front and rear. I had to remind myself that I was in a 4600 lb SUV and not in the Z06!

DSC was not liking curbing, and it hurt corner exits if I went up on the FIA gators.

In the last session on Sunday, I switched DSC off and got into M Sport AWD. That doesn't shut off all the nannies, but shifts the drive power to the rear and allows for some slip angle.

That made a huge difference! I could rocket out of T1 & Oak Tree and drift the rear, and the car had no issues going over FIA curbing. With more seat time, this would be a total hoonigan on the track.

Tires did very well. I found optimal performance at 43F/38R hot. At 41F I got some minor rollover on the front, but nothing like I had on my Type-R with the same tires. I did not experience ANY understeer which I thought was quite amazing.

While the X3 MC isn't as fast around VIR as my Type-R was, or my C7 Z06 is, it exceeded my expectations immensely. It never ran hot (though it was in the low 60's), never hiccupped, and shredded everything in the D run group.

I got a TON of compliments from other drivers and instructors.

I have two sets of EBC Yellow front pads EBC sent me for the 760i for free to see if they fit. I did not need to swap out the OEM pads, so I don't know yet, but I think they will work.

If you have one of these, you owe it to yourself to get it on track.

I know the blue tape sucks, but track driving destroys the front & I did not film the car, so go easy.

Last edited by djhartm69; 05-03-2021 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 19
TonySD60.00
r33_RGSport12906.00
allinon724907.50
Gsavarese300.50
Max Well4708.50
leon360x139.50
jdg5495.00
ando2000.50
spuntyb4054.50
Ibiza3594.50
AIRHEIR442.50