View Single Post
      03-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #8
Scolirk
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 740iL

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
What an excellent review! The guy hits all the positives and negatives of the vehicle.

My favorite was “Its supposed to be firm! It’s an ///M car!”
It was the number one thing I was asked during my time with the car, I really felt that people forgot what this car was meant to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Very nice review. Well done. I can imagine that reviewing performance cars in Canadian winter is rather tricky. I just wished car reviewers would actually test and report the acceleration numbers rather than simply reporting the understated BMW numbers. The true beauty of this car for us enthusiasts is that we can bring kids to school, shop at home depot... and then run 11.6 over quarter mile on a drag strip. A true Swiss Army knife with an extremely reasonable price tag.
I'm hoping to incorporate an accurate way to test the 0-100km times on these vehicles. Up until now I try to see personally how quick it was by the video timecode, in this case the X3 M was closer to 5 seconds, but there's latency between when I say 100 and the actual speed, along with the camera lag. It's something on my list to do this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
It’s interesting that the reviewer likes the firm suspension in the X3M because it matches M car expectations yet complains about the older technology in the car, meaning the gauges and infotainment. He gets is on one aspect, and misses it on another - shouldn’t the M cars have classic gauges, driving focused, and not counter rotating hexagon shaped graphic errors?

Anyway just my opinion of course, and it’s a sign of the times. I’d pay $500 extra for classic gauges in my car (glad I didn’t have to this go around).
It's funny you bring that up, I featured the 2020 BMW M4 Competition convertible just before the winter really hit, and I figured there'd be some serious interest in the video since it's one of the 'classic' M Cars available, with analogue gauges, older tech in general, and RWD-Only. Yet no one watched the video, interest in the outgoing M3/M4 seems to be non-existent.

But I also mention in the video that the tech complaint is nit-picking, the old iDrive and cluster aren't really negatives considering what you get for the price, and ultimately what the X3 M represents.