View Single Post
      02-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #56
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
So I test drove an X3M base on 21s with the Continental tires today. It was my first X3M drive and I also drove an M40i for comparison. I found the X3M suspension to be very reasonable regarding comfort, and I drove on multiple road surfaces including a very cratered intersection with potholes that would swallow pedestrians. At no time did I find it busy or crashy like my E9x competition M3s. I did notice small bumps come into the cabin more than the M40i, such as lane turtles but this wasn't a problem and again was less than my M3 experiences. The Conti tires were crap in our 45F weather today though with traction control limiting power constantly and I even spun up the front tires accelerating moderately from stop while turning left. I absolutely would not keep those tires if I bought one with them. Another thing is the base exhaust was nothing special and would be a disappointment to me if I went with a base.

An X3M Comp was not available to me today but I would prefer to buy that as I want all the doodads of the comp model. So now I'm wondering if it's that much different for comfort. I would have not problem with the suspension in the base M. I guess according to the OP it is different but I'll have to test drive one myself.

Good review.
I would definitely go with X3M base.

20" wheels are a must in US war zone roads.
Lighter package, more tire choices and cheaper rubber does not hurt either

Softer suspension is welcome as well _ since its the most heard of complaint about this car

Regular seats for sure vs M seats for
- rear legroom
- visibility
- more comfort on bolsters digging into legs

Quieter exhaust is not bad either - not to piss of the neighbors in the morning.
Appreciate 0