View Single Post
      11-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
zartan2000
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 X3

Water in battery compartment

I own a 2006 E83. I have water accumulating under my battery and in the rear left hand side “bucket” below the audio electronics. I disconnected the rear sunroof drain tubes from the roof assembly and poured water into them to see if they worked. Both flow water to the exit drains inside of the bumper without issue. I also ran wire down the drain tubes and up into the roof assembly. Everything seemed clear. I soaked the exterior of the car with the hose and watched for water to leak into the area. The left rear “drain system” made some “glug-glug” sounds during the experiment, but no water appeared. I watched for probably 5 minutes without seeing anything. So I drank more coffee and came back 20 minutes later. Well, I got water in the bucket – just a little bit (maybe ˝ teaspoon). Eventually I figured out that the water was seeping in via the leftmost body plug on the horizontal rear surface that connects with the floor between the bucket and main floor of the battery compartment. I removed the plug and some more water came out of the hole. I now have 1 or 2 teaspoons in the bucket. There is now standing water just below the bottom of the hole with apparently nowhere to go. From the stains behind the other body plugs, it appears that the water has gotten “deep enough” in the past to cross a small metal barrier between the leftmost and rightmost body plugs. How does water get into this location? I’m not even sure my soaking experiment filled up this litter reservoir. The leak, with the plug in place, is super slow and I might have missed seeing it earlier. I guess I could seal the plugs, but I don’t know where the water would then end up. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0