Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Hey Folks,

I'm dumping DirecTV because it costs us just shy of $160/mo and we rarely watch TV. Wifey watches The Voice on NBC a couple nights a week and we sometimes catch a series on PBS. Otherwise we watch movies and baseball on my Apple TV. We have internet through the local cable company, so today I added the basic package of local networks, which comes in unscrambled and needs no set top box. The cable company charges $10.95/mo per box and $14.95 for DVR service if I want to record shows. I'm sure I can buy something to record TV shows for far less than a year's worth of rental/service fees from the cable company.

Thing is, every time I search for a DVR, I get hits for a pricey system to record from security cameras. That's not what I want. I just want to be able to record the occasional TV show. I'd rather not have to pay any monthly fees for a service. Can one of you entertainment center gurus recommend a good TIVO-like device? Are there such things as recording devices that are also tuners? Something I can run a coax to and then use HDMI to the TV?

Current DirecTV/cable internet cost is $230/mo. The plan outlined above will be $113/mo. Pretty good savings there, so I don't mind spending a bit for a good tuner/recorder if one exists.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Will TiVo work for your situation?
Appreciate 0