View Single Post
      11-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #26
harjan49@yahoo.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

BMW owners, don't just rely completely on RiicK's dangerous remark "The N20 has no timing chain issues. It's just bullshit internet rumor" and base your decisions. I have the 2013 X3 2.0L which went down while driving. It popped up with message of DriverTrain malfunction and shutdown engine in few seconds with no ability to control to pull the car off the road for safety. Message advised to tow the car to dealership which we did. The dealership diagnosed the Timing belt mechanism broken! Surprising the X3 was serviced by same BMW dealership 3 weeks before which included Oil Change. At that time dealership also suggested additional service of coolant change and fuel injection service which was done. But they couldn't diagnose any deterioration of timing chain belt mechanism. When asked why it failed, they have no way to tell that either - it just failed is the only answer. Also they are now forcing me to replace the entire engine at very high total cost of parts and service for no fault of mine (My duty was to take the car to dealership for service and ask whatever service required to be done, which I did just three weeks before the timing chain mechanism failure. My duty is to pay which also I did. To keep their own technology running safe is the job of BMW and its dealership doing my service.) It is BMW's own Design decision to embed the Timing chain Mechanism within the engine and so they should be responsible for monitoring and able to diagnose its deterioration. Owners/Drivers have no visual indication (since it is embeded within the engine) nor the instrument panel has any messages to display the deterioration before it fails so the Owner/Driver can take precautionary measures! This is BMW and we just only go for its Brand name and clever advertising whereas they do not have technology to identify, diagnose nor onboard instrument panel and screens to tell you about this delicate mechanism that fails ALL OF A SUDDEN WITHOUT ANY PRIOR WANRNINGS! Even a fifth grader would argue why do they want to use plastic parts instead of metal parts for such an important mechanism on which the entire engine, traction and maneuverability while driving depends on! Readers, you do not know what HELL experience you get when your vehicle running on road with so many surrounding cars at high speed suddenly stops due to timing chain failure! You are not even left with ability to drive your car out of road for your own safety and safety of others and other's property!. Simply because BMW Design used plastic parts in Timing chain belt instead of replacing them by metal parts which could avoid such dangerous failures that can be fatal to driver, passengers within and to cars and people surrounding it at the time of failure? Is this the design you would expect from a company like BMW to whom even a fifth grader can advise to use metal parts instead of plastic for Timing Chain mechanism?
Appreciate 0